Truck Driver Training
Classes in Normal, Pontiac & Lincoln!
We are currently in Phase 4 of the Restore Illinois Plan and Heartland Community College is resuming limited modified versions of Truck Driver Training. Please note campus is only open for invited guests at this time and all visitors are required to adhere to safety precautions and procedures as documented by the College Standard of Care. This includes wearing face masks when on campus.
We look forward to slowly and safely welcoming more of you back to campus!
Prepare for a career in commercial truck driving
Are you looking for a career and not just another job? Consider becoming a professional truck driver. Heartland Community College’s Truck Driver Training Program will open the door to a lifetime of job opportunities. All types of truck driving jobs are widely available for those with a commercial driver’s license (CDL).
No previous experience is required.
Our 160 hour Truck Driver Training course prepares you to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License. The first week prepares you for the CDL Learner’s Permit. The remaining three weeks are behind the wheel training. At the end of the course, you will take a Class “A” License road test, administered by the Illinois Secretary of State’s Office.
The course covers the following topics to prepare you as a professional truck driver:
- Endorsement preparation
- State and federal regulations
- Log books
- Map reading and trip planning
- Complete vehicle training
Instruction includes classroom lecture, demonstration and behind-the-wheel experience in a Class “A” vehicle.
Before you register for the program, you must:
- Have a current driver's license issued by the State of Illinois.
- Be 18 years or older.
- Complete and pass the DOT Physical and Drug screening.
- Download and complete the DOT Physical/Drug screen form for OSF St. Joseph in Normal or OSF St. James in Pontiac.
- Go to OSF St. Joseph in Normal or OSF St. James in Pontiac to have your screening done. While there, you will turn in your DOT form (above).
- The results will go directly to Heartland Continuing Education.
For a breakdown of enrollment steps, click here.
Registration and other fees:
- The course fee is $4,049, of which a $608 down payment is required at registration. (See below for payment plan options and assistance.)
- You are responsible for the $99 fee paid to OSF St. Joseph or the $107 fee paid to OSF St. James for the DOT physical/drug screen listed above.
- When you take the permit exam you are responsible for a $50 fee paid to the DMV.
For a breakdown of program fees, click here.
Students for Whom English is Not a First Language
Basic English language literacy and communication skills are vital to the safety of the student, instructor, and others on the road. Please contact HCC Adult Education with any concerns related to this requirement as they can assess your skillsets and may enroll you in Heartland’s free ESL class as a first step.
Daytime Classes run 4 weeks, Monday-Friday, 8AM-4:30PM
Evening classes run 8 weeks, Monday-Friday, 5-9PM. Please call (309) 268-8179 for evening class availability.
Daytime classes in Normal:
- November 2 - December 1
Phone: 309-268-8448, Monday-Friday, 8AM-3:30PM
Office Appointment Hours for Registration:
- Tuesdays 9-11:30AM
- Thursdays 2-4PM
Refresher courses are available for those with a current or expired CDL.
- Our instructor performs a detailed needs assessment for a fee of $299. This fee does not include a drug screening, which must be taken before the assessment is given and is an out-of-pocket expense for the student.
- A report is completed and you are given an estimate of the practice hours needed.
- Refresher practice hours are billed at $129/hour.
- A Certificate of Completion to document your practice hours is available on request.
We offer an installment payment plan through Nelnet and student loans are available through SallieMae.
This class is eligible for state grant money.
We also have a limited number of Financial Scholarships.
Call us at 309-268-8448 for more information.
County Workforce Services
Employment Statement for Job Training Programs
Heartland Community College does not guarantee employment upon completion of instructional programs. Students are responsible for researching relevant employment opportunities prior to registration. No refunds will be provided if a student fails to complete a course, does not pass a certification exam, or is unsuccessful at obtaining employment.
Phone: 309-268-8448, Monday-Friday 8AM-3:30PM
Office Appointments for Registration:
- Tuesdays 9-11:30AM
- Thursdays 2-4PM
Truck Driver Training Radio Advertisement