Prepare yourself for an exciting and rewarding career in healthcare.
Phlebotomists play a vital role in healthcare by acquiring a quality specimen for physicians to diagnose, medicate, and manage their patients with the best possible outcomes. Learn basic phlebotomy skills in this class including: safety and compliance, patient preparation, routine and special collections, and processing of specimens are skills. Enhance your professionalism, bedside manner, and how you relate this medical procedure to your patient. After successful completion of this class, you’ll gain Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT) credentials through the National Healthcareer Association®.
Current median wage - $15.72/hour*
Projected Regional Jobs by 2024 – 600
*Hourly incomes are the median wages reported in 2016 to the Bureau of Labor Statistics for the respective job titles. Projected jobs are for regions roughly equating to HCC district 540
People interested in becoming phlebotomists should have a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
Non-native English speakers
We want non-native English speaking students to be successful in our work ready programs. That is why you must score at the advanced level in reading, writing, speaking and listening on Adult Education’s assessments before enrolling. If your score falls below that requirement, we encourage you to enroll in Heartland’s free ESL classes as a first step.
Detailed Course Information
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Define phlebotomy and the role of the phlebotomist
- Distinguish between laboratory departments in order to deliver specimens to the appropriate department(s)
- Communicate effectively, accurately, and professionally with diverse populations of patients and other healthcare providers
- Model ethical and professional behavior in order to provide high-quality patient care
- Apply safety and infection control standards in the healthcare environment
- Accurately perform phlebotomy procedures in variable clinical environments
Register for Phlebotomy Technician
Next start dates:
- 9/24/2018 (Registration ends 9/17)
- Spring 2019
We offer an installment payment plan and student loans are available through SallieMae.
Call us at 309-268-8160 for more information.
Employment Statement for Job Training Programs
Heartland Community College does not guarantee employment upon completion of instructional programs. Students are responsible for researching relevant employment opportunities prior to registration. No refunds will be provided if a student fails to complete a course, does not pass a certification exam, or is unsuccessful at obtaining employment.