Leadership and Service Academy
Gain leadership experience and earn service hours!
Whether you are just starting to gain leadership experience or are ready to take your skills to the next level, the Leadership and Service Academy can help you grow your professionalism and earn service hours around your busy summer schedule. Complete a full-day workshop with a business training expert that includes tools and activities for growing key communication, goal-setting, and team work skills. Then put your new skills into practice with K-8th students as you assist Challenger Learning Center instructors. Upon successful completion of the Academy, reflection questions, and 18-22 volunteer hours, you’ll receive a personalized reference letter and documentation of your service to area youth.
- LSA participants must be between the ages of 14-18.
- Meet requirements for application within timeframe
- Attend a required 1-day orientation.
- Complete a minimum of 18 service hours
- Demonstrate Student Leader competencies as outlined in LSA Handbook and covered in orientation
- Perform all required classroom activities with instructor and cohort activities with program leaders
- There is an $89 fee to participate in LSA. Cost includes orientation, lunch, and background check.
- Work with a small group who needs supplemental activities or additional support or time to complete a lesson
- Lead a part of a lesson or activity at the request or invitation of the instructor (ex. 10 minutes)
- Help resolve a problem or conflict that a student is experiencing under the direction or guidance of the instructor
- Plan a last-day activity (10 minutes) to celebrate hard work and friends made
- Greet students at the start of each day
- Provide one-on-one support to students who need more time or additional help
- Ensure instructors’ materials are organized or environment is prepped or cleaned during the day (ex. Copies made or sorted, tables set up, monitors cleaned)
- Provide feedback on student work under the direction or guidance of the instructor (ex. Peer review to writing, feedback on a project, etc.)
- Variety of STEM, communications, and drama camps
- Camps meet Monday-Friday weekly.
- Camps meet 9AM-12PM and 1-4PM. LSA students should plan to arrive 15 minutes prior to the start of camp and stay 15 minutes after it ends.
- Complete the application packet which includes a registration form, background check, personal non-family reference, and a short essay question.
- Turn application packet into the Continuing Education office, suite 2400 in the Workforce Development Center.
- All applications will be reviewed by the Associate Director, Business & Industry Solutions and the Associate Director of the Challenger Learning Center.
- Applications that are incomplete and/or late will not be accepted.
- Applications will be followed up with a short 10-15 minute phone interview prior to being accepted into the program. Interviews will be conducted by the Associate Director, Business & Industry Solutions.
- After acceptance into the program, you will be contacted for official registration and payment by May 15th.
We are not accepting applications for summer 2020. Please consider LSA in the summer of 2021!