Teen Leadership and Service Academy
Gain leadership experience and earn service hours!
Whether you are just starting to gain leadership experience or are ready to take your skills to the next level, the Teen Leadership and Service Academy can help you grow your professionalism and earn service hours around your busy summer schedule. Complete a full-day workshop with a business training expert that includes tools and activities for growing key communication, goal-setting, and team work skills. Then put your new skills into practice with K-8th students as you assist Challenger Learning Center and Continuing Education instructors. Upon successful completion of the Academy, reflection questions, and assigned volunteer hours, you’ll receive a personalized reference letter and documentation of your service to area youth. Only 20 student leaders can be accepted into the program, apply now below.
Find out more about the program at our informational session led by our business training expert. Session will be on April 6th from 7-7:30PM.
TLSA participants must be between the ages of 14 and 18.
- Submit application materials within timeframe provided
- Applicants will complete an interview session
- If accepted into the program, participants will:
- Attend a required 1-day orientation on June 2 or June 3
- Complete 18-22 service hours as assigned by program leader. Assignments will be completed in one-two week increments.
- Demonstrate Student Leader competencies as outlined in TLSA Handbook and covered in orientation
- Perform all required classroom activities with instructor and cohort activities with program leaders
If accepted into the program, there is an $89 fee to participate. Cost includes a lunch on orientation day, leadership materials, and HCC credentials.
- Work with a small group who needs supplemental activities or additional support or time to complete a lesson
- Lead a part of a lesson or activity at the request or invitation of the instructor (ex. 10 minutes)
- Help resolve a problem or conflict that a student is experiencing under the direction or guidance of the instructor
- Plan a last-day activity (10 minutes) to celebrate hard work and friends made
- Greet students at the start of each day
- Provide one-on-one support to students who need more time or additional help
- Ensure instructors’ materials are organized or environment is prepped or cleaned during the day (ex. Copies made or sorted, tables set up, monitors cleaned)
- Provide feedback on student work under the direction or guidance of the instructor (ex. Peer review to writing, feedback on a project, etc.)
- Complete the application by May 3
- Submit application to the Continuing Education Department
- Obtain a personal reference and have them complete the reference form below
- Applications that are incomplete and/or late will not be accepted
- Interview invitations will be sent out by May 6
- Virtual interviews will be hosted on May 10
- After acceptance into the program, student leaders will be contacted for official registration and payment by May 14
- Due to scheduling limitations, only 20 student leaders will be accepted into TLSA 2021