Leadership and Service Academy
Gain leadership experience and earn service hours!
- LSA participants must be between the ages of 14-18.
- Meet requirements for application within timeframe
- Attend a required 1-day orientation on Thursday, June 4th from 9AM-2:30PM
- Complete a minimum of 18 service hours
- Demonstrate Student Leader competencies as outlined in LSA Handbook and covered in orientation
- Perform all required classroom activities with instructor and cohort activities with program leaders
- There is an $89 fee to participate in LSA. Cost includes orientation, lunch, and background check.
- Work with a small group who needs supplemental activities or additional support or time to complete a lesson
- Lead a part of a lesson or activity at the request or invitation of the instructor (ex. 10 minutes)
- Help resolve a problem or conflict that a student is experiencing under the direction or guidance of the instructor
- Plan a last-day activity (10 minutes) to celebrate hard work and friends made
- Greet students at the start of each day
- Provide one-on-one support to students who need more time or additional help
- Ensure instructors’ materials are organized or environment is prepped or cleaned during the day (ex. Copies made or sorted, tables set up, monitors cleaned)
- Provide feedback on student work under the direction or guidance of the instructor (ex. Peer review to writing, feedback on a project, etc.)
- Variety of STEM, communications, and drama camps
- Camps meet Monday-Friday weekly, from June 8th-July 31st
- Camps meet 9AM-12PM and 1-4PM. LSA students should plan to arrive 15 minutes prior to the start of camp and stay 15 minutes after it ends.
- Complete the application packet which includes a registration form, background check, personal non-family reference, and a short essay question.
- Turn application packet into the Continuing Education office, suite 2400 in the Workforce Development Center.
- All applications will be reviewed by the Associate Director, Business & Industry Solutions and the Associate Director of the Challenger Learning Center.
- Applications that are incomplete and/or late will not be accepted.
- Applications will be followed up with a short 10-15 minute phone interview prior to being accepted into the program. Interviews will be conducted by the Associate Director, Business & Industry Solutions.
- After acceptance into the program, you will be contacted for official registration and payment by May 15th.
Applications close May 1st.