Jump over the site's secondary content.

Enrollment Services
Hours of Operation

Mon: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tues: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wed: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thurs: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm


Jump over the site's primary content.


What are grants?

Grants are money to pay for educational expenses that do not need to be repaid. Sources of grants are the federal and state governments.

How can I get a grant?

Once you have completed the FAFSA, it will be determined if you qualify for a grant.

What kind of grants are available?

Here are several types of grants used by Heartland Community College Students:

  • Federal Pell Grant
    The Federal Pell Grant is the largest source of financial assistance for HCC students. The grants range from $602 to $5,730 for the academic year depending on financial need and hours of enrollment.

  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
    Limited FSEOG funds are awarded to the students to supplement Pell Grant funds received. Grants usually range from $250-$500 and priority is given to those students who apply by April 1.

  • llinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) Monetary Award Program (MAP)
    All residents of Illinois automatically apply for the MAP grant by submitting the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Aid). MAP can only be used to pay tuition and fees. MAP grants are contingent on state funding, so it is very important to apply for financial aid early.

  • Illinois National Guard Grant (ING)
    The ING is awarded to members of the Illinois National Guard or the Illinois Naval Militia who have served at least one year and are currently in the Guard or Militia. The grant will pay tuition and certain fees for 120 credit hours of enrollment at any state-supported institution. Applications are available in the Financial Aid Office and must be submitted for each academic year of enrollment.

  • Illinois Veteran Grant (IVG)
    The IVG is awarded to eligible students who entered the military from the state of Illinois, served at least one year of honorable active duty and returned to Illinois within six months of separation. IVG pays tuition and certain fees and is not based on financials need; however, students need to maintain satisfactory academic progress. Applications are available in the Financial Aid Office.