Math Success Center
Welcome to Fall 2020! All MATH 09X courses will be online this semester. We will be providing virtual facilitator assistance for students who need help with math (See the Drop-In Facilitator Schedule below.)
MATH 091, 092 and 094 courses at Heartland use MyLabsPlus, an online program that allows students to work at a personalized pace.
Highlights and Benefits
- You will start at a level that you are comfortable with and move through the course materials, mastering each concept before moving on. Some students are able to complete more than one course in a semester, saving time and money.
- Students have varying learning styles, skills and interests. We have multiple supports in place to ensure student success.
- The computer program you will use provides immediate feedback and numerous resources to assist you.
- You can work on math anywhere you have a computer and an internet connection.
- Instructors provide individual instruction and build problem-solving skills at a pace that is right for you.
Need Help With Math?
You can get math help either by joining a Zoom room with a math facilitator who is standing by (check the Drop-In Facilitator Schedule below), OR you can make an appointment with a math facilitator. When making an appointment, you may choose to meet by Zoom or phone, but please be aware that it may take some time to set up (maybe up to 24 hours) depending on facilitator availability, but we will do our best to assist you in a timely manner.
Drop-In Facilitator Schedule
We have facilitators available for drop-in help! See the schedule below for links to meet in real time with facilitators in their Zoom room. If you see a time that works for you, click on the link (the person's name) to connect with the facilitator at the given times. If these times don't work for you, you can fill out an appointment form (it's the next tab).
Drop-In and Testing Hours Time Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat 7-8 am 8-9 am 9-10 am 10-11 am Jennifer (10am-1pm) 11-Noon Toni (11am-2pm) Bob (11am-1pm) 12-1pm 1-2pm Raj (1pm-3pm) 2-3pm 3-4pm 4-5pm 5-6pm Debbie (5pm-8pm) 6-7pm 7-8pm 8-9pm 9-10pm
Math Tutoring Appointment Form
If you need help and there is no one available in the Drop-In Facilitator Schedule (above), please fill out this form to request a facilitator appointment. Keep in mind that it may take up to 24 hours to schedule this appointment.
Math Testing Appointment Form
You need to fill out this form if you need to take a test for modules: 4, 6, 10, 12, 17 or 19.
The Testing Schedule is:
Sunday 4 to 7:00 pm (Zoom)
Monday 11 to 3:00 (Zoom or in person, WDC 2603)
Tuesday 3 to 6:00 pm (Zoom)
Wednesday 11 to 2:00 (Zoom)
Thursday 3 to 7:00 pm (Zoom or in person, WDC 2603)
Please answer the following questions:
Opportunity to Re-take Placement Exam
If you are a current MATH 09x student and have passed a course during this term, you have the option to retake the Placement Test to see if you can jump to a higher math course.
To apply to retake the Placement Test, you can fill out the Placement Retake Form. Once completed, you will receive an email letting you know if you are eligible.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Go to my.heartland.edu and click on the "MyLabsPlus" tab. On the following screen click on "MyLabsPlus" again. Choose your class.
No! The textbook is online and accessible from the MyLabsPlus online course page. The additional course fee covers your access to MyLabsPlus for the term.
To report issues with MLP please go to http://heartland.mylabsplus.com/index.learn?action=support or call 888-883-1299, and notify your instructor.
Absolutely! In fact, we encourage you to work on math at home as well as here in the Math Success Center.
You are expected to work on math at least as much time outside of class as time spent in class. Our program allows you to work anywhere that you have internet access.
Yes! Even though the class content is offered on the computer, it is important to come to class, so that you know your instructor, can have questions answered and problems explained, as well as to take tests.
Any instructor or facilitator in the Math Success Center (MSC, WDC 2602/3) can grade your notebook. (You must have your notebook graded before you can take a Post-test.)
Main Campus: All tests must be taken in the Math Testing Center (WDC 2605) or in the MSC if the math testing center is closed.
Lincoln or Pontiac: Please contact the extension centers for their hours.
Pontiac (815)842-6777 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lincoln (217)735-1731 email: email@example.com
The schedule for hours is in your MyLabsPlus (MLP) course in Schedules
- You need to keep in mind that the amount of work is the same whether you take it online or in-class. That is, it will take from 10 – 15 hours a week to successfully complete your course.
- You will need to have a reliable computer to work from home.
- You will need to come to campus to take tests. You may also come to campus to have your notebook graded, receive help with questions, and have tests reviewed.
For a short quiz to decide if online learning is right for you, please visit: http://www.heartland.edu/onlinehybrid/quiz.html
Lori Hoffman, Associate Director of the Math Success Center (Lori.firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: 309-268-8630)