We seek applicants for temporary, part-time Tutors to assist students through the College’s Academic Support Center in one-on-one and small group settings. Tutors provide assistance in specific content areas or general skills with a goal of increasing student-learning independence. Learn more about Tutoring Services.
Flexible scheduling generally includes 3 or more hours per week.
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis for all subject areas, but areas of need for the Spring 2019 semester include:
- Biology (especially Anatomy & Physiology)
- Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Chemistry (especially Fundamentals of Chemistry and General Chemistry)
- Computer Networking (especially Introduction to Networks)
- Computer Science
- Digital Media
- Math (especially Algebra courses)
- Other STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) courses as needed
- Writing assistance at the Pontiac, IL campus
- Writing assistance and Math assistance at the Lincoln, IL campus
Master Tutor Positions: Bachelor’s degree with strong academic skills
Peer Tutor Positions: Completion of at least 15 hours of transfer-level credit with cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above and successful completion (A or B grade) of course that equals or exceeds the difficulty of the course tutored
Just in Time Tutor Positions: In lieu of an A or B grade in the course, faculty referral is required
All Tutor Positions: Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and basic computer knowledge
- Successful teaching or tutoring experience
- Demonstrated respect for others with diverse perspectives, identities, and behaviors
- Patience, dependability, and ability to interact professionally at all times
- Knowledge of or ability to quickly learn software used by HCC students
For full consideration please submit application materials listed below by November 26, 2018. Tutoring Services will directly contact selected applicants to attend a group interview session to be held on December 7, 2018.
- Tutoring Services Application Packet, including Tutor Course Selection Form and Tutoring Services Availability Form
- Cover Letter
- Transcript copies if bachelor’s degree or higher is held
Heartland Community College
Attn: Executive Director of Human Resources
1500 West Raab Road
Normal, IL 61761
You may also submit requested application materials as email attachments to HumanResources@heartland.edu. Documents sent through email may not be secure.
Review of applications will begin 11/26/2018, and will continue until the position is filled.
A PDF version of the HCC Employment Application (PDF) is available for you to download and complete.
HCC is an Equal Opportunity Institution
Heartland Community College affirms the value of diversity among students and employees.
The College provides equal educational opportunities to all students and equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, status as a veteran, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of enrollment and employment.
Individuals needing reasonable accommodations due to a disability in order to participate in the application process should contact the Human Resources Office, (309) 268-8130, TDD (309) 268-8030.