Curriculum and Academic Standards Committee (CAS)
The Curriculum and Academic Standards committee discusses and analyzes academic matters related to student learning and approves courses, programs, and academic policies and standards that affect the college community. The committee also provides a forum to discuss new academic initiatives within the college.
Members of the committee represent the college’s instructional community and are selected from their divisions. Because discussions focus on academic issues that affect the whole college, all interested faculty, staff, and students are welcome to attend.
General Functions of the Committee
The Committee meets on the second and fourth Friday’s of the month to review and approve, by vote, proposals for new courses and programs, adjustments to existing courses and programs, and policies related to curriculum and academic standards.
- The committee shall review, evaluate, and make recommendations concerning curriculum, courses, programs, and academic policies and standards.
The committee will form or appoint sub teams to develop and/or research issues and policies related to curriculum and academic standards. The committee will review and may act upon recommendations of sub teams.
The committee will welcome any faculty or staff who wishes to discuss issues related to academic courses, programs, policies, or standards. Based on these discussions, appropriate sub teams may form to investigate the issues further.
- The following are matters on which the committee will approve through a vote, and the recommendations will be sent to the Vice President of Learning and Student Success, who may take the committee’s recommendations to the Cabinet, and, as needed, to the Board of Trustees for final approval.
- any policy or procedural change which, in the judgment of the committee or the Vice President of Learning and Student Success, has significant impact on the college’s resources, values, or mission
- new college certificate and degree programs
- changes to academic procedures or policies
- The following are matters on which the committee will approve through a vote, and the recommendations will be sent to the Vice President of Learning and Student Success for final approval prior to being forwarded to appropriate Illinois state offices.
- new college courses, certificate and degree programs
- changes in existing college certificate and degree programs
- changes in course titles
- changes in PCS/CIP code and transferability
- significant changes in course content and course outcomes
- changes in course pre- or co-requisites
- changes in course credit or contact hours
- changes in catalog description
- changes in assessment methods and methods of evaluation
Members of CAS are composed of Faculty, Staff and Administrators from all academic divisions as well as Continuing Education, Enrollment Services and Student Success. Other departments may be represented as needed.
A Blackboard repository has been created to share forms and procedures of the Committee as well as relevant state agencies, such as IAI and ICCB. The repository requires a log-in and is only accessible to Heartland Community College faculty and staff.
Relevant Committee Approved Policies (all pdfs)
Academic Integrity Policy
College Readiness for Composition
College Level Composition
Assessment Committee Web Site
This web site explains HCC's General Education Learning Outcome codes as well as Assessment Committee functions.
AQIP Web site
AQIP is HCC's path to maintaining its accreditation! AQIP stands for the Academic Quality Improvement Program, which is an alternative accreditation process developed by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
For more information, please contact:
Zach Petrea, Chair
Lisa Sleevar, Recording Secretary