Apply for Aid
Filling out your FAFSA is easy.
You must submit a new FAFSA each year. We recommend submitting it as soon as possible after the new Award Year opens on October 1st each year. MAP and SEOG grants are first come, first serve due to limited funding.
- Obtain a FSA ID by going to https://fsaid.ed.gov. You will need one ID for yourself and another ID for one of your parents whose information will appear on the FAFSA form.
- Go to http://www.fafsa.gov and follow the instructions for file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online.
- Use the Heartland school code 030838 where requested.
- HCC MUST be listed as a college choice on your FAFSA.
- Check your Heartland email regularly. We will contact you here if additional information is needed to verify your application.
- For new students, you must finish your application to Heartland and submit all transcripts to the records department.
- After everything is verified, check your Heartland email for your award letter. This award letter outlines what aid you are eligible to receive.
When to Apply
You must reapply for student aid every year.
Apply as early as possible. The FAFSA form should be submitted by the date for the respective semester as listed below.
|Fall Semester||March 1|
|Spring Semester Only||October 1|
To be considered for all aid types and to ensure your financial aid eligibility before each semester, apply by the preferred filing dates. Note that the major state grant program may require you to file earlier than the dates outlined due to limited funding.
How to be Considered for Summer Financial Aid
- Be admitted to HCC and enrolled in an eligible degree program. Visiting students are not eligible for financial aid.
- Complete the 2018-2019 FAFSA
- Complete the Financial Aid Summer Application and turn in to the Financial Aid Office with a copy of your summer classes to determine eligibility.
- Verify and finalize any pending items by checking your Myheartland>>IRIS>>Iris Student Center>>Tasks tile.
Payment for Classes
If the above information has not been received by the Financial Aid office by these dates, the student may need to make arrangements for payment of tuition/fees with the Business Office prior to the payment due date. If the student is found to be eligible for financial assistance after payment has been made, the student may be reimbursed.
Transfering to a New School
if the student transfers schools, the aid does not transfer. Check with the new school to find out what steps the student must take to continue receiving aid.