Jump over the site's secondary content.

Sign Up for On-the-Spot Admissions

Admissions representatives from various four-year colleges and universities visit Heartland to meet exclusively with our students.

Contact Advisement at (309) 268-8033 to sign up!

Jump over the site's primary content.

Transferring Courses

Did you know that transfer students from Heartland perform as well as or better academically at four-year institutions than the students who begin their careers there?

Q. How do the general education classes that I've taken at Heartland transfer to other colleges and universities?

A. Most colleges in Illinois participate in a program called the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI). The IAI is a statewide transfer agreement, which makes general education courses transferable among more than 100 participating colleges and universities in Illinois. Learn more about IAI.

A growing number of colleges and universities across the country participate in u.select, which provides degree and course information for transfer students. Learn more about u.select.

Finally, if the college or university you are considering does not participate in IAI or u.select, contact the registrar at that college or university.

Q. How do the elective courses that I've taken at Heartland transfer to other colleges and universities?

A. There are several ways for students to get this information, but the most reliable way is to check with the registrar at the college or university that you are considering. Some colleges and universities have provided Heartland Community College with information on how individual Heartland courses transfer.

Q. How should I plan for a successful transfer from Heartland to a four-year college or university?

A. Planning is the secret to a successful transfer. Consider your options for completing a degree after Heartland. Learn what Josh Britton, Heartland student, has to say about planning.

Q. How do I transfer courses from another college or university to Heartland?

A. Contact your previous college or university and request that an official transcripts be sent to Heartland Community College. Once received, your official transcripts will be evaluated by Student Records. Be sure that your program of study here at Heartland is correct. If you have questions on how your credits will transfer, contact Records at (309) 268-8038.