Becoming a College NOW Student
First, you must submit the HCC student application!
Before You Apply
- You do not need to submit the HCC student application every year while you are in high school. Your HCC student account will remain active until after you graduate from high school.
- You will need to enter your correct social security number and high school graduation month and year during the application process. (No SSN? No problem! See the section below for help!)
- Use an email address you check often but avoid using your high school email account.
- Students under the age of 16 taking HCC courses on-campus/online, not through our high school or career center partnerships, must satisfy the additional admission requirements outlined here.
After You Apply
- Your welcome letter will go to the email address you entered on your application within 3-5 business days after you submit your application. (Application processing could take longer during high-volume times or if an error is detected with the information entered on your application.)
- Be sure to check your spam/junk filter before reaching out about your welcome letter.
- You must follow the instructions provided in your welcome letter to access your free myHeartland student account. (Contact IT for assistance accessing your account: email@example.com | 309-268-8380)
Don't Have a Social Security Number?
For any student who does not have a social security number (primarily international or exchange students with a permanent residency card or visa), you will need to complete this application instead. Follow the same instructions for completion listed above. This is a fillable form you can complete on your computer, then download as a PDF. Please double check to be sure that your downloaded form saved the information you entered before you close the browser window! If the download does not include your information, try the Print to PDF feature instead.
Submit both your completed application pdf and a scanned copy of your permanent residency card or visa to this secure link following these instructions. If you don’t have access to a scanner, you can take a picture of your permanent residency card or visa with a cell phone; be sure the entire document is centered in the picture, on a solid background, and clearly legible.
Alternately, you can bring the completed application and permanent residency card/visa in person to any of our Heartland campuses to be scanned. On our main campus in Normal, our Early College Opportunities department is located inside the Records Office, in the Community Commons Building, suite 1600. At our Pontiac or Lincoln campuses, bring it to the front welcome desk, and let them know you are a College NOW student!
Next, you may need to take HCC placement tests.
*Not required for HCC courses offered through our career center partners, success education courses, or most career-technical education courses.*
Before You Test
- Make sure you set up your Heartland account.
- Make sure you know which placement test(s) are required for the HCC courses you intend to take.